A Nickel Mounted Viola Bow From The Pfretzschner Family Workshop.
The Pfretzschner name is one of the most easily recognized and well respected names in the violin industry, representing a dynasty spanning generations and as far back as the 15th century, tracing its roots to historic Markneukirchen, where their family atelier was established in 1834. Their legacy remains of renown largely due to Hermann Richard Pfretzschner (1856-1921) who learned from his father Carl Richard Pfretzschner (1832-1893) and went on to become one of Jean Baptiste Vuillaume’s last protégés from 1870-1872. He returned to Markneukirchen, heavily inspired by and well trained in the methods and models of Vuillaume, Tourte, and Voirin. In 1901, H.R. Pfretzschner was granted a position of nobility in his appointment to the royal court of Saxony, a distinction made hallmark with their coat of arms stamped onto the frogs of his bows henceforth.
A fine tool from the Pfretzschner family workshop, nickel mounted, weighing 71.7 grams, and performing like a much more expensive bow.