A Fine English Violin by Hungarian Master, Bela Szepessy, 1898.
Undoubtedly, the most famous protege of the Hungarian master, Samuel Nemessanyi, Bela Szepessy (1856-1925) established himself permanently in London in 1881 and is considered both one of the most important craftsmen of the Hungarian school, as well as one of the most beloved makers of the era in England. Dilworth cites his apprenticeships to Nemessanyi and Engleder from 1868-1874 in Budapest, and T. Zach from 1878-1879 in Vienna. Following a decline in health, he retired to Tyrol in 1921, and died shortly thereafter.
This violin from 1898 represents the peak of Szepessy’s craft and height of his career and was made for J. & A. Beare (established 1892) during what is referred to as his most productive period, approximately 1882-1916. It is sold with three letters from 1963 testifying to its authenticity. One from Ralph P. Powell, and two from Charles Beare confirming both its authenticity and the 6621 stock number. It is further noted on the label as the 130th violin Szepessy made.